Monday, October 5, 2009

Sick Kitty

Porch sitting, midday, sunshine is bright and clear. This is the brightly burning of the sweet end of summer, of giving one last burst of warmth and light before the slow slide into the cold and dark winter. The wind blows, stillness abounds. Here there is no time, there is no problem, there is nothing but present moment awareness, and I am content.

And upstairs is a little kitty who is not well right now - my Familiar kitty.

I'm feeling really concerned about him. And there is some conflict inside of me about what to do to help him. I would prefer not to go to the vet. The vet I've taken him to for a long time is pretty good, but they have a lot of ideas that are just so deeply rooted in the western medical paradigm. Required vaccinations, antibiotics, endless invasive tests. And for a little buddy who isn't feeling well, I hate to subject him to that unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't subject myself to it, and have a hard time supporting that whole system. But is my own philosophical commitment of value when it could cause my little buddy more suffering?

Not only that, but it's so expensive to go through all those tests. And they are so often just guessing, or just trying to rule things out, just like they do with humans. But humans can at least speak up about their experience of being less-than-well. Little kitties can't do that.

He is so skinny now, and has been for a few years. He has begged or tried to steal food for quite a while now. I finally broke down and gave him some canned food, some that a friend had given me. He loved it. I bought some. He gobbled it down. So I bought some more, hoping that feeding him that stuff once a day wouldn't interfere with his food requirement by the vet - to keep his urinary tract from having issues. And now, a week after these new canned foods, he is having problems.

He whines long and loud, begging for more and more food. It's so hard to deny him! And I wonder, with him being so skinny, does he have some deep deficiency or problem that I am not aware of, that hasn't shown up in any other ways before now? He has also been peeing on the floor for the last few days, which is bizarre. He isn't exclusively peeing on the floor, and uses the box, too. This is apparently one of the issues that arise with urinary tract issues, but fortunately he isn't peeing blood or trying to pee and having nothing come out - which means a blockage. So, I have gone to the natural food store, and bought some natural remedies for this problem. I am hoping and praying that this does the trick...and also wondering how long to wait before taking more action and going to the vet. I have also given him some detox medicine, which is homeopathic, as well as a homeopathic remedy for intestinal issues...in case the food itself has caused some issues. He has been having lots of gurgling in his belly, and some stinky gas. And Reiki! I have given him some Reiki this morning, too, hoping that will connect with these beautiful medicines from the Earth, and bring him a quick recovery.

I love this little guy so much. He's my first cat, and probably the first being that ever completely melted my heart. He has taught me to love. And he has driven me crazy at times, too! But beyond any of that irritation - mostly related to begging for food - I have nothing but deep, profound love for this little one. And I know that all of us will eventually pass from this realm of life, and that he's not so young anymore - he's 13 1/2 now - but I would love to have him around for a few more years at least!

What worries me a bit more is that he's sometimes got a little stagger. Now, I do too when I'm really not feeling good. And he does have the energy to bolt down the stairs to try to beg my food from me - even a few minutes ago - but other than that, he is pretty lethargic and just laying around. I don't remember the last time he didn't meet me at the door when I came home, but last night he wasn't there. So sad! =(

For now, I'm going to stay intuitively connected to him, continue to give him these homeopathics and Reiki, and keep my prayers going nonstop. And I ask that if you're reading this, could you please send some prayers and love his way too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Urpi

Urpi
Inside a hostel in Cusco, Peru